SIGN IN / REGISTER
To apply for jobs or to upload your CV, please register your details
Software Test Manager – TV Operations
Our Client company specialises in providing Connected Home Entertainment Solutions to Multiservice Operators to help them strengthen their end-customer relationship and drive revenue growth. Based upon their parent company's hardware and software technologies, operators are able to develop innovative convergent services and a unique broadcast TV experience, enriched by the power of Internet.
Our Client’s Mission:
They believe that the TV experience has evolved to become more ‘Personal’: consumers want a simple access to content relevant to them, at the time they want, on any device, in any place. The world of the family lined up on the couch to watch the same live television program is becoming a thing from the past and is quickly turning into a multi-screen experience, where personal devices such as smartphones, tablets and shared devices like flat screen TV’s are interlaced. Isn’t it time the TV services reflects these changes? This is their main focus.
What do they offer?
They offer telcos (in particular mobile-centric telcos) an end to end technical solution that includes:
- An innovative set of applications that deliver a cost effective way to enhance the TV viewing across any screen in the home or on the move
- An interactive and simple personalised experience on smartphones and tablets – giving end customers access to live, recorded, on-demand and even personal content.
- Compact and powerful set top boxes
- A managed service wrap to this differentiating TV service allowing not just quick time to market but also in-life developments to make sure customers stay ahead of their competition
- In 2014 they were the company and the team behind the disruptive new EETV service in the UK.
Purpose of role
The Software Test Manager TV Operations is a pivotal role in the operations team as it owns the day-to-day operation & change management within the live service and performing the testing of new set top box and tablet / phone software prior to releasing to their telco customers.
They know that more and more, consumers like to know that they only pay for what they want. So they offer them great functionalities to enrich their experience on “free to air” programs, as well as access to a growing library of relevant content, either via apps or new IP channels, some free (like BBC iPlayer, YouTube, The Box Plus etc) and some chargeable (like Wuaki TV Now TV etc).
The role is about championing the change management associated with performing key tests within the UK, engaging with a dedicate off-shore team of testers, initiating all change management within the service relating to software, configuration and the line-up of on demand applications.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Accountable for the testing of new software developed by the team in Paris, ensuring that new features, functionality and defect fixes are proven to behave as designed in a UK (DVB-T2) environment with a critical eye for quality
- Definition of new test cases in line with new feature functionality as part of the release strategy, the overall delivery plan and engagement with the Product team
- Regular engagement with the Paris based development team in the UK validation of defect fixes working both with development and production software / hardware
- Responsible for all in-life change management on the set top box, tablet & phone devices (iOS and Android). This task will involve regular liaison with the telco customer, clear establishment of requirements and the desired implementation dates for change. Subsequent logging on our dedicated ticketing system and configuration of the bespoke DMS (Device Management System), test & deployment
- Authoring of key operational documentation including system build / configuration status documentation, definition of operational processes, description of key backend feature functionality etc
- Accountable for high quality of delivery and customer experience: make the content service experience a first in class experience, optimised for TV and set to maximise associated commercial opportunity & operational stability
- Responding to operational incidents raised either by end users or the telco customer. Regular interaction with the operational service desk advising on known issues, status of fixes and logging of new incidents
- Multiple demands from our primary telco customer: be able to prioritise the vast array of change requests into what is a genuine “emergency” change and what should be planned as part of in-life change
- Ability to accurately plan: the role is split between both Operations and Testing, both of which are skills in high demand. The challenge is being able to work with your internal colleagues, prioritise based on business need, set expectation and manage that expectation through to fruition always keeping your customer informed of progress
- Implication of getting configuration wrong, hence attention to detail, confirming configuration with colleagues and timely testing prior to deployment are all of high importance in getting all changes right, first time, every time
This Software Test Manager role involves no people management. It is matrixed into the testing team, headed by the TV Project & Test Manager. The role will involve close working with off-shore test resources both in Paris and in India and international conference calls / video calls to align activity and compare results.
- The customer first, if we don't look after our customers, someone else will
- ROI, always focus on the commercial value of what we do
- We design with Simplicity and Quality
- Always adopt a ‘can-do’ attitude, then anything is possible
- We stick together, help each other, and build our collective strength
- Familiarity in implementing operational change and working to tight deadlines
- Competent and confident in modifying JSON and XML files using a text editor in a live service environment
- Competent in software testing / defect logging on set top boxes, tablets & mobile phone software using a web based tool
- Ability to document operational processes and system configuration to a high level of quality
- Self-organisational skills and an ability to work to tight deadlines, often at short notice
- Strong Excel skills especially pivot tables and ability to manipulate large quantities of data
- Finally and importantly: Although we’re affiliated to a well known and established business, the company is currently growing in start up mode, so an entrepreneurial spirit. Opinions and proactive attitude are a must!
- Knowledge of the telecoms and/or media regulatory environment
- Familiarity with the UK D-Book, DTG & HbbTV testing
- Basic level of the French language (verbal)
- The role is for a permanent position
- To start ASAP (3 month probation period
- Benefits (post 3-month probation): pension, life insurance & private medical cover
- Personal and company based performance bonus up to 25%
Please note that it will not be possible for every application to receive a reply as the number of applications we receive for each role are too numerous. If your application is suitable for submission to our client we will contact you within two weeks of your online application. All unsuccessful applications will be deleted from our records.
VIDEO CASE STUDY
Candidate employed by Orange Labs
"Capumen was quite different to other agencies", "Very friendly and helpful and gave advice in interviewing techniques", "I would have no hesitation in recommending Capumen to other candidates".
Kashif Chaudhry - Orange Labs
"Capumen spent time understanding our organisation and the needs of our business", "It was so obvious their CEO has spent 20 years working in the TMT sectors", "We only needed 2 interviews before filling the role".